All of us know what is “Learning” and would say – oh, that’s very simple! Irony is that there are not many, who have a right understanding or do a right job!! It is because of that, most of us don’t have real taste of learning!
Learning is one of few things, which has very unique characteristics. Learning knows no limit. It evolves and enhances, as long as you live with it and use it. It starts to languish and weaken, when you believe you have learnt enough! What you have learnt would start to exit and extinct, when you don’t use it!
Continuous learning is essential for continuous development. Everyone wants his/her development; but lacks desire to learn and hence, they cannot go where they want to. In corporate and communities, nearly everyone takes pleasure in talking about importance of constant learning; but very few are able to fathom what it really means!
Learning has to lead to incremental knowledge, induction to Change and inspiration to implement! This is when new competencies crop up and existing ones get enhanced!! Learning also means a change in character and correction in perceptions.
Reckon the reality – if above does not happen, believe me your learning is fractured or faulty! Such learning is nothing but information gathering, which can’t be gainfully used.
Best learning is when –
- You have sincere desire to develop self.
- You aim to become better than before and improve your personality.
- You are open minded.
- You are free from fear and frustration.
- You are focused and flexible.
- You don’t choose your learning by fame or familiarity.
- You are not swayed by position, power, popularity or prosperity of people, from whom you want to learn.
- You have fairly good idea of human body language.
- You have positive thinking.
Learning is worst, when –
- You are biased.
Your biases are always biggest barriers to your learning.
- You have ego.
Ego is your worst enemy! Materially developed societies and prosperous people tend to give cold shoulder to learning, essentially because of their ego. This is one of factors why they are currently facing monetary and moral decline!
- You focus on people, who are ahead of you and not behind.
People tend to have phobia, fascination and fantasy for people, who have fame and name; but often no strong character or persona. You feel obsessed to follow them. This is a farce and falsehood, which would fail you in your learning!
- You hate to learn from whom you don’t like!
Often, the best learning comes from your bête noire!! What you can learn from your foes, you can’t do it from your friends.
- You are over confident.
Over confidence means arrogance and that can convert your learning into an illusion.
- You are complacent and in comfort zone.
It would kill your desire to develop more, do better and make a difference during your life time.
- You are dogmatic, bureaucratic or bound by boundaries of your beliefs. These attributes could be a severe impeding and limiting factor in your learning.
- You are unable to draw a proper line between realism and religion.
- You make light of or laugh at those, who want to always learn.
Such people are poor learner and often exaggerate what they know. There are also people, who feel shy to learn for fear of being seen in poor light.
Moral of Learning
Get your definition right of “Learning”!
No learning is real, unless it:
- Incrementally changes your character, wisdom and as a consequence, brings better capabilities and new competencies.
- Induces your appetite to learn more and implement.
- Inculcates politeness and humility.
- Inspires change or/and innovation.
Learning has to be all inclusive – for dos and don’ts, from friends and foes, from good and bad. In other words, learn you must from every situation you are in. It is just a question of your attitude and practice.
Never forget that you can best learn from whom you want to leave out!
For Leaders, continuous learning is life!!!