Many of you might be aware about 80-20 rule or Pareto principle, which was proposed by Dr. Joseph Juran in late 1940s and he attributed it to Italian economist Vilfredo Pareto, who actually created a mathematical formula in year 1906. It states that for many events, about 80% of the effects come from 20% of causes. Since then, mathematics has been getting more and more complicated! Let me, now, disclose a very elementary math rule “1-2-3 & Go”. It is not about sportsmen being signaled to get ready and then start to run or play. It is something to do with common human habits and pattern of responses, which have been found as “prevalent in most” after extensive study by me. We encounter this routinely in our day to day life; but it is possible that most of us have not perceived or realized how it works!
It has one interesting feature – after 1-2-3, going is not good for you; you actually go in reverse gear!!
The rule 1-2-3 & Go
This rule essentially means that if a person does not take action, what he/she is supposed to, at “1st instance” and does not do also at 2nd and 3rd, then he/she would most probably not take any action or even do the opposite at “Go”!
1st instance – If you respond, you are a doer and dynamic!
2nd instance – If you respond at this instance, you would be a reluctant doer!
3rd instance – If you have not responded so far, you would develop resistance!
Go – At this instance (4th), you would most probably react against doing it or may even go in reverse mode!
Relate this rule to real life
- If you say “sorry” for being unreasonable to your colleague and you really mean it, you would be conscious and would not do it again in all likelihood.
If you did not mean anything in saying sorry, may be at 2nd instance of doing that mistake, you would mean and correct it; but reluctantly.
But, for 3rd time mistake, you may say sorry; but it would just a word on your lips!
For 4th time, you may not feel like saying sorry again or even react against that colleague, as if he/she is responsible for your mistake! That is the “Go”, albeit in wrong direction and you may not look back, till you start to get hurt by your own behavior!!
- If you have a new e mail and reply immediately after reading through, it would be best and efficient reply.
If you leave it pending and then, start replying after 2nd reading, you may not do as good a job, because of some inertia having crept in.
When you read it 3rd time, most probably you would not feel like replying.
4th time i.e. Go situation, you would keep it further pending or delete it, until you get a reminder.
- If you are a man or lady of promise, you would deliver it most times 1st time.
If you do not deliver 2nd time also, it would be hard for you to do so 3rd time.
4th time on, you would hate to think about it or start making excuses!
- If you give your advice to someone or even to your spouse and it has to appeal, it would appeal at 1st very instance. If you have to repeat your advice 2nd time, he/she may accept with hesitation. 3rd attempt by you would be a waste and 4th time, you would invite angry protest as to why you have to do it repeatedly!
- It also goes with saying “your 1st impression is the last impression”! 2nd attempt to impress or get impressed would be a watered down impression; 3rd attempt would not bear any impact. 4th one would bring repulsion!!
Simple; but extremely helpful Rule!
- It can make you dynamic and decisive.
- It would make you present minded and active.
- It improves your efficiency immensely.
- Responses/actions of true leaders and successful personalities mostly happen at the 1st very instance.
- You can learn how not to alienate your audience.
- It helps you to understand behavioral aspects of people; you deal with and can evaluate them better.
- Each work or activity, you keep it pending, it would take you longer and longer to complete. On the top, you may waste lot of time thinking that it is pending or brooding about it. If you are done with it, you would stop brooding!
At the end, the Rule rules!
This rule implies that if you do not give right response at 1st time, you would incrementally go down in quality of response as follows:
Response not given 1st time –> Reluctance –> Resistance –> Reaction or reverse gear
If you want to achieve success and make a difference, you have to be 1st time doer most time and follow this rule very faithfully!
This rule works, when you are natural self. You can always beat it by being very conscious, by doing things at 2nd or 3rd time also! If you do that, it is to your advantage and that is very purpose of this post!!
Life is actually simple and it follows simple rules. It is we, who complicate it by our complex perceptions and observations.
So, if you want to do (learn) it, do (learn) it now!