Most of us would like host of opportunities to come our way. We would like have highly remunerative job in hand, be able to change to better employer when needed, dream home to live in, fabulous vacation at bargain price and so on. However, sometimes we get those and other times, we have to be content with or compromise our needs or wants, since desired opportunities do not show up or some of those come our way but never fructify.
Most people work hard to become more deserving or increase their potential to attract better opportunities through additional MBA, MS or other specialized qualifications in their portfolio, attending courses to enhance their soft skills like managerial courage, conflict management, communication, focus, decision making or leadership. However, it is often seen that those, who are destined to get opportunities, get it without additional degrees or development programs! More the qualifications and certifications are, less are the opportunities available for most; Murphy’s Law seems to rule the roast!
One thing is certain – people, who do get opportunities easily, do their things very differently than those, who may be dexterous and diligent but are deprived of opportunities! The most powerful key to bring such a differentiation is “Open mindedness”!
One may be very dynamic, dashing, dedicated, diligent, highly qualified and/or experienced; but if she or he is not truly opened minded, all of those attributes would not be of much avail! An open mind is a master stroke to defy Murphy’s Law!!
There are 4 types of people:
- Those who are not open minded.
They are dogmatic!
- Those who are open sometimes and close minded on other times.
They are directionless or opportunistic!
- Those who are open by desire but close their mind, when it comes to doing it.
They are dithering type.
- Those who are truly open.
They are decisive!
It is only the last category above, who holds the master key to open doors to opportunities.
Signs of open mindedness
Everyone would say she/he knows what open mind is; but research shows only less than 5% of people really comprehend it correctly.
True definition of open mind is – “Absence of any preconceived notion and presence of mind”! This definition implies that mind is always in attentive and present mode.
Clear signage of an open mind is:
- You would be a great listener.
- Your mind would never be overwhelmed by your ego, emotions and prejudices.
- You would not have hard traits or habits.
- You would accept the realities without hesitation.
- You would never be afraid of being proved wrong.
- Your capacity to take risks and challenges by choice would be enormous.
- Your faith or beliefs can’t blind or blank your mind.
- You would not turn blind eye even to your mentor, teacher, preacher or guru.
- You are unlikely to block your mind by choosing a role model!
- You are bound to be candid and upright! You would hate to play politics or have split personality!
- You would be free from confusion and full of confidence!
Significance of an open mind!
An open mind would not only be attentive, receptive and present, but also be clear. You automatically become a keen observer! The clarity of mind would help you to see opportunities in every problem or challenge!
Remember the fact that mother of all opportunities is nothing but problem, issue or challenge!!
In short, an open mind makes you a positive man, who is constantly seeking, cracking and creating opportunities in every sense. When you do that, then your luck or destiny comes chasing you; believe me. The popular phrase – “God helps those, who help themselves” comes true on you! You would be amazed to see how one good news brings another; one opportunity opens the door of another.
Open mind brings sense of deep satisfaction and accomplishment. What is very important to understand here is that when mind is open, it has to necessarily close on decisions and actions!
So, would you not like to make your mind truly open and obtain the master key to control be it your career or be it destiny?