Most people understand what Focus is; but, misunderstand its meaning, power and use! If focus is correctly understood, we would become very different in our style and strength. Focus is one human quality, which has far reaching impact on our mind, body, soul, success, health and happiness!! All successful leaders to legends, businessmen to celebrities use this quality as main contributor to their success.
Focus can bring radical changes in your character and class. What you need is to fathom it right and follow it faithfully!
How focus is misinterpreted and misrepresented!
This is mostly because of lack of awareness. Though focus is talked about in all walks of life, including corporate, its correct meaning is hardly emphasized.
Focus does not mean:
- Having a concerted thought for desired object or activity, while allowing all other kinds of thoughts crossing your mind.
- Doing a single physical activity, for which you believe you are focused, while all types of thoughts are wandering your mind.
- Carrying a train of similar thoughts for desired object or activity but with interruptions.
- Multi-tasking, even if you believe you are fully concentrating on multiple tasks!
- Having more than one type of thoughts, though connected with same subject or object e.g., kicking football for penalty shoot-out, feeling nervous and thinking that everyone expects you to net a goal. Though there is one subject, there are 3 types of thoughts – to hit ball right, fear of failure and expectation of others! This is no focus and most probably, you would miss your target!!
- Headstrong or blind run for your objective/s.
True meaning of Focus
Focus means “your mind has a single type of thoughts, which is also driving your body in sync!” As an example, Focus on breathing means mind is having thought of breath going in and out and you are also breathing exactly at same time and sequence. Another example – you are at the goal post and your mind and body are fully in tune for hitting ball at right spot, with no other thought. Then, it would surely be a goal! Even if goal keeper tries to intercept you, you would miraculously deflect the ball past him!!
So, focus is mind and body getting fully synchronized to perform one and only one activity – “a thought or thought + physical action” at a time, when past and future lose their meaning to you.
When you continue to remain focused for a period of time, then either you would have same type of thought repeating in your mind or have a train of thoughts but each one aligned towards achieving your aim or goal. Let us term such train of thoughts as “Same type of thoughts”.
In practical life, it is difficult to remain truly focused all the time. What is important is high degree of focus, which can be defined as:
Degree of Focus = 2 ⁄ x
Where x is no. of same type of thoughts in mind per minute.
This is a simple formula, but has solid implications:
- x can never be zero, because mind can never be blank, unless dead.
- If x is 1, then it means that your mind has only single type of thoughts, which could be dangerous as it would go in a loop of same thought and can’t come out of same.
- Ideal degree of focus in 1, when you have 2 types of thoughts – 1st for the object or activity you are concentrating at and 2nd to monitor its start to finish and take it forward to repeat or make only such variation adequate to reach your aim.
- Practical degree of focus is 2 ⁄ 3, where 3rd type of thought is for observing your body/surroundings.
- If degree of focus falls below 2 ⁄ 4 = 0.5, you are no longer focused.
- Distraction means other type/s of incoming thoughts, which interfere with single types of thoughts on which you are concentrating.
Best way to deal with distraction is not to react or forcefully remove such incoming thoughts, but ignore; don’t give importance. Your mind would restore its focus.
Startling results of being focused
When degree of focus is 2 ⁄ 3 and under no case below 0.5, you would observe that:
- Several of key your functions merge:
- Mind and soul or conscious and sub-conscious parts of mind
- Brain and Body
- Inner voice and Inspiration
- You would feel energetic and motivated.
- All negative emotions – fear, frustration, anxiety, anger, aversion or delusion would vanish.
- Anything that is feasible comes within your reach.
- You feel supremely confident and courageous.
- You won’t and can’t do anything wrong!
In other words, degree of focus of ill meaning people is always below 0.5!
- You become amazingly effective.
- It brings a rare combination in you – being innovative and creative at same time!
- If you remain focused most time, your vitality and virtues multiply.
It makes you happy and healthy.
You may have observed that unhappy or unhealthy people are not focused. Conversely, focus can address your ailments in many ways!
So, if you wish to end your weaknesses and enhance wisdom, please start practicing “Focus” properly and prudently. You would then unlock real power and potential of this magnificent quality, which you possess!