This could come as a surprise to you; but research reveals that caption statement is not a mistake! This is not a rule, which applies 100% of time; but does apply most of the time. Action of masses being on wrong side is a high tendency and perennial probability.
Look at the examples, which prove the Truth of the Moment.
What masses tend to do
- Triangular love n hate
- If you are not happy with your boss, you would start loving his bête noire.
- If you get hurt by someone (even when you are at fault), you lean towards one who gives you healing, even if he/she fakes or falsifies.
- If you see flaw, right or wrong does not matter, in the party in power, you would flirt with another sitting in opposition.
- Masses getting swayed by superstitions.
- Person with power, position, popularity and/or prosperity gains prominence among public and press, even if his persona is poor!
- Fiery and flamboyant communicators are always construed by companies and communities as leaders!
- Everyone loves those companies giving handsome salary hikes, shops giving hefty discounts, governments giving tax exemptions, even if it means these establishments going bankrupt and everyone paying a higher and heavier price later!
- Majority does not like to prevent or pre-empt, since it wants to experience pain before it could recognize problems!
- Facing a setback; find a scapegoat first.
- In grip of surprise and suspense? Hold the breath to become breathless!
Why not exhale the breath to enjoy much more?
- Hopes and happiness are matters of external forces. So, hopes of most are on God and happiness on spouse or bosses!
- One, who could touch your pain point/s and suppressed sentiments, becomes your role model, even when he has no model solution or charismatic character.
- One (gentle) man from a crowd start throwing stone or bottles at public property, rest would follow suit, with no clue or qualm why they should do that!
- “Number of tweets admiring a Beauty” can only be outnumbered by “a wave of tweets unleashed by complains of a twitter friendly netizen (net citizen) on defects in a (beauty) product”.
There are many more examples on what masses do across the globe!
Why mind of masses tends to go wrong?
Mind is not always right, especially when it comes to collective effect of minds of masses. The paradox is it is the masses, at the same time, which has power to make or break countries, communities and companies.
- In 90% of cases, first reaction of mind is never right, since it just a reaction, without rationale, to an action, which mind experiences. It is analogous to Newton’s 3rd Law of Motion! Masses tend to act of 1st i.e. spontaneous reaction of mind!!
- Majority of individuals has insecure feeling, as it lacks inherent strength of character and intellect. This makes most individuals to look at neighborhood i.e. they are overwhelmed by Neighbor’s Syndrome.
- When emotions get evoked, it is very easy for our mind to get engaged and polarization of opinion happens at fast pace.
These emotions + polarization of opinion thereby lead to what is known as “Mass Mentality”. It also, now, makes it clear that what masses follow is not based upon any logic or rationale!
How to keep your mind on right course?
- Watch out for mass hype, hysteria or heroism. Most of these would be hypocrisies and lure you, because of illusion; these are able to create in your mind. Wise thing would be to shun these.
- Roads most traveled look tempting; but these would not be free from rough patches and erosion! Your fear that you would miss something by not following those roads is false.
So, be bold to follow routes, less traveled. You would discover new experience and confidence.
- The world that you see starts from you and would end with you. So, why should others drive and impact you and your world? You need to drive them. You must observe, listen or hear and learn from others; but develop your own conscience and consciousness.
- There is one aspect, which you need to tread carefully –
The faith you follow would always have elements of masses and mythology, dogmas and doctrines. But at the core, all faiths favor “Help everyone; but hurt no one!” Disregard its adulterated version, if you come across. If you keep this simple principle at the apex level of all of your responses, you would do very well.
With above, you can master the Mind and Masses; not the other way round!!
Leave a Reply