There is something seriously wrong about our ideas for Perfection. Not sure how many are conscious or clear what to attempt, when they suggest or swear to be perfect! Also, be cautious to understand rationale behind the above caption – it does not imply “imperfection is to be inculcated”. This applies to companies, institutions, and individuals, as also work, hard and soft skills, products or services.
Implications of Perfection
- Efforts for 90% of perfection are doable with diligence and dedication; next 5% are harder; next 3% are harrowing; but balance 1.9% is herculean!
Is there anything like 100% perfection? One does not know and let us leave balance 0.1% to aliens from outer space!
- It is time guzzler and hence, also goofs on good opportunities.
- It is not efficient and hence expensive.
- It requires lot of practice, patience and polishing, at the cost of productivity. Therefore, population of perfectionists cannot be large.
- Many desire and dream perfection; in practice very few can drive it!
Therefore, it is devoid of popular appeal.
- Perfectionists are isolationists.
- Perfect bodies, beauties or businesses could prove to be bane, as these would attract lot of attention, rivals, imitators and hence, their real values would wane over time!
Be free from Defects, instead of being Perfect!
To be free from defects or flaws is a completely different paradigm as well as perspective than to be perfect. Drive to be free from defects takes away all problems associated with process of perfection!
Above has shown that to be perfect could be an ordeal; below would show that to be free from defect is ideal!
- Process of getting perfection does not mandatorily target defects removal; whereas making it free from defects – be it product, system, service, character, competences, lifestyle or else, focuses fully on weeding away defects first!
Former is analogous to “knowing what you should do, having little concern or knowledge of what you should not do” and hence, as a result, you would also do wrong things and then spend efforts to correct the same, which is wasteful! Latter is equivalent to learning first what you should not do; so what you do would automatically be free from flaws and hence most productive.
- Definition of defects depends upon “functional requirements” in case of objects/ activities and “what creates good impact on others and self”, in case of personal behavior/characteristics.
- When you remove all defects or keep it free from defects, you would find that resultant output is highly functional, acceptable, suitable and economical.
- When an object or subject becomes defect free, it becomes simple and beautiful! Further attempts to bring what we term as perfection, actually make it complicated and starts spoiling its elegance and élan! From that stage onwards, output starts to plateau and time/costs start to soar.
- Efforts should, then, be directed at innovations or variations to create different versions or flavors. That would be most efficient and economically sustainable!
Let us look at 2 simple examples to explain relevance of above:
By removing all impurities from drinking water, we make it potable. Further attempts to perfectly clean it, would remove minerals and that would not be good for health!
2nd example – Head of an organization is preparing communication on company performance for employees. Defect free communication would be one, which would be simple to understand, short to digest and sweet to appreciate.
Instead, if he vies to make it perfect by putting all performance data, graphs, explanations for up and down sides and so on, such communication would no doubt have depth and details; but consume lot of time and man hours to prepare and would turn out to be complex. In most cases, it cannot be communicated transparently and effectively, and would leave audience guessing and gasping to grasp!
For the Future Perfect…
The mandate is clear:
- Redefine “Perfection”.
- Efforts for perfection should cease, once all defects or flaws are removed.
- Any extra effort is like a creamy layer at the expense of volume (of efforts), without creating value.
- Instead, such extra efforts should be directed for innovations, new creations and versions.
- Objects and subjects, body and being become the best and beautiful, when these are free from flaws.
These are also, then, exquisite, elegant, efficient, affordable and sustainable!
- Attempts to make things 100% perfect could push you to perils!
- Nature’s laws demand minor (not major) degree of imperfections and imbalances. This is what has made whole universe in a dynamic state. It also brings fizz and fervor in our life!