Is it not a good topic to talk about? If you could predict behavior of your boss, half of your life is made at work! You would not face dilemma time and again how to deal with your boss/es.
In every profession and part of our life, we have to deal with people. We have no clue how much trouble we invite and time we waste by not responding or dealing with them correctly. Most of us would respond or react spontaneously or in ad hoc way, without making any effort to predict their likely behavior. As a result, we may face rough or tough situation and have nothing but regrets at the end! So, it makes good sense to observe and understand behavioral pattern of people, as a habit and manage them to get what you deserve or desire. Predicting bosses is part of such larger scheme; but believe me it is not difficult thing to do, once you start doing it and make your natural choice to practice. It is then that dealing with bosses or anyone else would not be a burden on you; but a beauty!
Reading Boss’ mind
- Judge your boss the way he keeps his office/table (I would be using he, with no gender bias)
- If his office/table is always well-organized same way without cluttering, he is much disciplined, definite in his ideas and likes everyone to be organized.
- If he keeps his pencils well sharpened, note pad and pen exactly at same place and orientation every day, he is a man of firm ideas and would be inflexible most of time.
- If he keeps multiple pen and pencils on table as a habit, he likes to play safe, be conservative or even paranoid.
- If he keeps his office sparsely furnished and table with minimum required items, he has a simple and clear mind and believes in quick actions.
- If his office/table is cluttered and displays posters with powerful management slogans, he is either confused or toxic!
- If he does not keep his office well illuminated (even in name of energy conservation), he may not be a man of bright ideas; nor would he like those from you!
- Figure out from how he greets you
- If he raises his head, looks into your eyes, give smile and say how are you, he is welcoming and well aligned to you.
- If he does the above and asks how he can help you, your day is made!
- If he does not shift eyes from computer screen or what he is doing and says hello or how you are doing, he would be passive to what you have to say; but he wants you to actively listen to him!
- If his response is only “come in and sit”, you are headed for a dull or cold conversation.
- If he speaks neither anything nor he offers you to sit, he wants you to get lost!
- Comprehend from how he conducts a conversation or meeting
- If he is normally ahead or on time to attend a meeting, he would take the things seriously.
- If he opens his conversation by thanking everyone for their presence or time, he would respect your views.
- If he takes initiative to give chance to everyone to speak and coaxes ones, who are keeping silent, to speak, he is man of empathy.
- If he narrates his own examples and past accomplishments during meetings, he likes to take credit; so he won’t give you one, even if you deserve.
- If he interrupts often, while others are speaking and admonishes attendee/s, he is an autocratic boss and would not take no for an answer.
- If he is looking at you without a blink or expression, he does not like what you are sharing or saying.
- If he hears your problems and pains; but does not sympathize, it is going over his head and he is not interested in solutions.
- Understand from how he interacts with employees
- If he is mostly confined to his office or seat and move out only when there is a purpose, he is not predictable and people friendly.
- If he goes to employee’s work place without an agenda and ask how she/he is doing, inquire if she/he has any concern/issue, offers in what way he can help or inspires them to achieve their goals, he is not a boss but a Leader!
- If he consistently recognizes and appreciates minor to major accomplishments of employees, for major ones he goes to employees to thank them personally and expresses his gratefulness, he is a Go-to-Boss and you can thank your stars!
- If he becomes upset when you fail to deliver and does not want to understand your situation, we would be arbitrary in his decisions and atrocious!
- Even when you have a genuine problem, he goes by rule book and does not find a reasonable solution; he is bureaucratic, lacks courage and initiative!
- Know the Body Language of your Boss
The post published on 21-March on this site talks about importance of knowing body language. It has gone down only to shoulder level. So, let us understand more parts:
- If he takes long steps and throws his hand wide open while walking, he is over confident.
- If he does not mix and match his dress properly, he does not have a great taste for creating congenial environments at work place and in company. He would be content, what happens at its own. So he may not be a man of drive.
- If he likes to keep his wrist watch running faster, he is a boss in hurry and may not devote enough time to you.
- If boss puts his hands on your shoulder or on arm, those are helping hands! You can expect him to be cooperative and considerate!
But, if he only taps on your shoulder or arm and moves on, he has habit to make his presence felt. He is likely to have ego or at least, would like that he be listened to!
- While addressing an audience, if he raises his hands above shoulders, he is overemphasizing or overenthusiastic. Lacks depth!
If his hands remain low or do not move, he is under confident or an underdog!
However, if his hands rise automatically at the level of his shoulders approximately, he is truly confident!
- If his voice is normally loud and without rhythm, he is most likely autocratic and toxic.
If his voice is generally lower in volume, at times unclear; but without rhythm, he is dogmatic.
Nevertheless, if his voice is at right pitch with rhythm, he is surely democratic (and decent)!
Can you influence behavior of your Boss?
Yes, you can! State of your mind can shape state of behavior that you would see in your boss!!
Remember, you need to be positive, to get positive results. If you are negative, you would get nothing!!!