Humans are infested by inertia and love to do what they have been doing. One fine day, they start facing issues, crises, stagnancy and decay. Often, the cause their troubles is that they had stuck around the place way too long and ignored the signals their surroundings were giving to quit and seek change! It is true that majority misses the boat for bolstering their career and craving for a crest!
One caveat for quitting – do that only when you have another appropriate alternative in hand.
Judging right time to quit
By quitting, I not only mean current employment; but also present position in your profession or pursuits. You should quit, when:
- You don’t feel happy with what you are doing, despite your sincere efforts and you don’t see a chance of a change.
- Despite 3 nos. of candid conversations over a period of time, there is no comfort level between you and your boss, even though top management had intervened. Remember the rule 1-2-3 & Go; it applies to everyone every time!
- Despite being well meaning, you are often mired or pulled into conflicts or controversies over a year.
- Your company is not changing and growing, and hence your management is able to offer you only stability and promotion; but not growth in real terms.
- Your senior managers and management are not interested in addressing your genuine concerns and issues. Be sure about genuineness of your concerns!
- You are excelling and reaching climax. It the best time to quit!
- When you start to enjoy comfort of your job and don’t want it to be compromised.
- When your management makes promises and fails to deliver at least 3 times.
- When your management does not hold moral and ethical grounds.
Hype and Hypocrisy on Employee Retention
Ludicrous is the style of that management and its HR, whose focus is to retain employees by hook or hammer; rather than encouraging and stimulating employees to see and shape their future with the company!
Most management reward for retention, create comfort zones for employees and show love for loyalty more than performance! Seldom they realize that by creating comfort zones, they are killing creativity and initiatives in employees.
Real leaders and managers are those, who tirelessly create opportunities, develop and grow their employees and if they can’t, then would graciously come forward to offer deserving ones a choice to relocate to another company or give honorable exit.
What we need are Constraint Zones, not Comfort Zones
Do not mistake Constraint by controlled and freedom limiting zones. Constraint zone aims at encouraging employees to give more for less – again don’t confuse less means less salary; it means less time, less energy, better efficiency, innovative ways to accomplish more and so on.
Banes of Comfort Zones
- Inactiveness and inefficiency
- No drive to learn and change
- Hatching covers for comforts
- Taking things for granted
- Taking time to manipulate and justify inactions
Only blessing that comfort zones offer is stability, uneventful and peaceful time, before degeneration takes control.
Blessings of Constraint Zones
- Auto drive for value system
- Self-motivation to learn and change; employees don’t do it otherwise
- Promotes productivity, creativity and value creation
- Realization for value of time, energy and cost/money
- Gunning for greater growth
How quitting at correct time can unleash new order and opulence
Normally, people do not understand how sometimes a single decision can have amazing power to become game changer in your life. The game of quitting under duress or distress is radically different than to quit by design, which can leave irrevocable imprints on your career and character!
- When you quit plan fully, it makes you confident and courageous decision maker – very rare qualities to progress and excel.
- State of your mind when you quit and quest for Change would shape your future successes.
- It can open flood gates of opportunities.
- It empowers you to shape your destiny.
- Its best impact is to inspire you to drive events, rather than those driving you!