Dev (name changed) was a very smart and sincere employee of a US multinational organization. One fine afternoon, he was summoned by his departmental head. The head was very furious and told him that he was very unhappy with him, as he had to cut a very sorry figure with an important customer, who phoned him to get latest status of a project led by Dev. Head thundered “what happened to project status report, which I had asked you yesterday to furnish me within 4 hours?” Dev said there seems to be some disconnect; he had very much sent the report yesterday itself by e mail to him. Head then called Dev’s supervisor to tell her how careless her sub-ordinate (Dev) was. The supervisor tried to convince him that Dev had very much sent the report and she had a copy of his e mail. The head became even more upset and shouted “I can’t understand what is then happening to e mail system. Our IT group seems to have collected lot of fat!”
Later, the head realized that Dev’s e mail was very much in his inbox; but he missed to check it. Head then called Dev and tried to compliment him that he was doing his job well; it was some network issue but fact remains that our customer is very angry with me and company. Dev knew that he was only making up for his mistake, without admitting it. From that day, Dev and his supervisor lost confidence in their boss!
Dev’s kind of story is being repeated innumerable times every second in public, professional and private lives world over!
Why mistake is a natural necessity!
Making mistake is both natural and human. Mankind has evolved through mistakes.
Most of mistakes are committed under influence of:
- Reactions or emotions
As a matter of fact, reaction is nothing but an act accompanied with emotions like anger, arrogance, disgust or disbelief.
- Error of judgment
- Choosing a wrong option – ignorantly or intentionally
Biggest misery of man comes through mistakes, so is the best learning!
Making issue of a mistake, misinterpreting or misunderstanding it leads to a bigger mistake. So, there is necessity of managing a committed mistake well to get the best mileage out of it, rather than allow it to become a monster!
Why man has tendency to mismanage a mistake
Most maladies of mistakes come from the fact that majority of people consider it a taboo. It makes people very conscious or nervous of being right or flawless all times; in that process, they are more prone to go wrong or falter!
Here below are reasons, why mismanagement happens post making of mistakes:
- Most of us are image conscious, without giving proper thoughts on what uplifts our image. Therefore, we tend to hide or cover a mistake.
- All of us have traces to tower of ego within us and that spontaneously overpowers our sincerity to admit a mistake and look at it objectively.
- Fear to lose credibility refrains our mind to be rational.
- Mistake always brings more mistakes, unless we consciously resist.
If a person commits same mistake 3 times over time, he/she would be tempted to make more and feel merry about it! Refer to the rule of 1-2-3-Go.
- Over-confidence or arrogance prevent people to learn from mistakes.
“So what, if I committed a gaffe. Can’t I”, is the usual refrain of these people.
- Celebrities (Wardrobe malfunction), politicians (Off –the-cuff remarks or responses) and those in power (Sarcasm or cynicism) tend to monopolize their mistakes and media helps them to make a virtue out of it. And that becomes a trend setter for masses
In the run-up of mistake/s, how people react or respond!
- Some become vociferous or vocal after committing a mistake.
They attempt to create fear psychosis in who can go against them.
- Few become vindictive after mistake is caught.
Such people never have remorse for their acts!
- Majority justifies its mistakes.
- Masses hide or deny their mistakes.
You can’t do it indefinitely; when it surfaces, it would sink you. Celebrated former US top military commander and ex-CIA Director Gen. David Petraeus tried for years to hide his mistake of having affairs with his biographer Paula Broadwell. Finally, it surfaced to his utter frustration and humiliation!
- Some morons would keep mum after making mistakes.
- Many play smart to make-up for their mistakes; that way they commit a bigger mistake and mess it up!
- Sincere ones admit their mistakes.
- Sober ones admit and also correct the mistakes.
- Savvy and smart ones, though few, not only admit and correct but also learn from mistakes!
So, mandate is clear – be magnanimous after making mistakes!
Never be coward or shy of making mistakes; but be courageous to admit it, correct it and learn from it. Don’t make deliberate mistake/s; but allow it, if you can’t help it. Sometimes, you are implicated falsely or blamed for what is not your mistake. Then, stand up and strive against it.
Never blame or belittle yourself for having committed mistakes. Be resilient and swing back to admit and analyze why that happened and how to avoid its reoccurrence.
When you admit a mistake in seriousness, it opens up your mind and heart; gives a new lease of confidence and new light of consciousness!
How you become great? Either your great work or absence of any guilt makes you great! Either you have no guilt (which is impossible) or get rid of one by admitting, correcting and learning!!
So, now you know what can make you graceful as being, great in mind and grand by heart!